4 Ways To Help Avoid An Electrical Fire In Your Home

19 July 2016
 Categories: , Blog

Share

A house fire can result in the annihilation of your home and all of its contents. Many house fires are caused by electrical issues within the home. Here are a few measures that you can take to help lessen the chance of your house being destroyed due to an electrical fire:

Watch for signs of electrical overload.

If the lights in your home flicker when a new device is plugged into a nearby outlet, it is likely that your wiring is not designed to handle the electrical load that it is carrying. In addition to flickering lights, you may notice that you have to repeatedly reset your breakers.

If any of these issues are occurring frequently, an electrical fire may be more likely to occur. Having an electrician inspect your home's electrical system to ensure that wiring is up-to-date and sufficient for the electrical loads of your home can help prevent sparks from hot spots.  

Use extension cords responsibly.

Sometimes, extension cords can quickly overheat if too many items are plugged in or if multiple extension cords are connected to one another. By feeling the cord to determine whether or not it is becoming hot during use, you can identify a possible ignition source. A plug that becomes too warm can quickly ignite carpet, nearby furnishings or curtains. If a cord does feel warm, unplug it as soon as possible to eliminate the heat source.

Don't overload your outlets.

If multiple appliances are plugged into the same electrical outlet, an overload can result and great amounts of heat could be released. If  two appliances that require a good deal of electricity are plugged into the same outlet, move one of the appliance plugs to a new socket.

Keep flammable fabrics and other materials away from outlet plugs.

One practical step that can help avoid an electrical fire is being sure to keep flammable items far away from your outlets.  If a plug socket is directly beneath a curtain or other flammable fabric, it is best to refrain from using that particular outlet or remove the curtain altogether. Likewise, outlets in areas of your home in which flammable liquids or other materials may be stored should be used with caution.

To learn more ways to avoid an electrical fire in your home, contact an electrician in your area. He or she will be able to identify possible hazards that could result in a fire.

Click the link for an electrician in your area or do an online search.